What do I do if I accidentally cut one the tiny printed waveguides on a motherboard
mo
2010-07-08 19:16:52 UTC
Hi all,

I have question.

Does anybody know how to jump a PCB circuit wave-guide of a motherboard :(
??

I really can't afford to buy a new board :'(

-mo
Carl Lowenstein
2010-07-08 19:26:39 UTC
Post by mo
Hi all,
I have question.
Does anybody know how to jump a PCB circuit wave-guide of a motherboard :(
??
I really can't afford to buy a new board :'(
Soldering iron, solder, and great care. Maybe you have to scrape off
any coating in the vicinity of the break.

carl
--
carl lowenstein marine physical lab u.c. san diego
***@ucsd.edu
mo
2010-07-08 19:33:33 UTC
On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM, Carl Lowenstein
Post by Carl Lowenstein
Post by mo
Hi all,
I have question.
Does anybody know how to jump a PCB circuit wave-guide of a motherboard
:(
Post by mo
??
I really can't afford to buy a new board :'(
Soldering iron, solder, and great care. Maybe you have to scrape off
any coating in the vicinity of the break.
carl
--
carl lowenstein marine physical lab u.c. san diego
Ah. There is only .5mm space between the adjacent waveguide :(. And I don't
have much experience. Would somebody with a soldering iron care to help me ?

:(

-m
p.s: That particular wave guide was one of the bus lines to the graphics/
AGP slot I worry.
Andrew Lentvorski
2010-07-08 19:43:43 UTC
Post by mo
Hi all,
I have question.
Does anybody know how to jump a PCB circuit wave-guide of a motherboard :(
??
Why did you use the phrase "waveguide"?

If this is really a "waveguide", you're probably screwed. Even if you
fix it, the impedance discontinuity is likely going to kill the board.

If it's just a standard PCB trace, then a bit of solder should do the trick.

Go to Fry's, get a conformal coating remover pen and open a small area.
Some standard rosin core solder should then be useful to reattach.

You might even be able to use a silver ink pen to just draw a line
rather than solder. I don't know how well that will work, but if it's
just a prototype, it might work fine for a while.

These should all be in the same row at Fry's with the solder, blank
copper clad boards, ferric chloride, etc.

The Fry's in San Marcos is probably a better bet than the one off of I15.

-a